Steak Diane originated in Australia where the use of fillet steak is obligatory for this quick dish. Nevertheless, rump steak would make a tasty alternative.
4 Serves steak diane ingredients
1 small onion, very finely diced
4 x 175g fillet steaks
75g oyster mushrooms, sliced
salt and ground black pepper
1 tbls lemon juice
2 tbls worcestershire sauce
Pinc of caster sugar
4 tsp brandy
2 tbls finely chopped parsley
Preparation time : 10 minutes
Cooking time : 15 minutes
Author : Prue Leith
Cookbook : Quick and easy (Confident Cooking)
Steak Diane recipe
1. Melt 50g of the butter in a frying-pan and sauté the onion for 2 minutes until sligtly softened. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
2. Turn up the heat and fry the steaks for 1-2 minutes on each side until lightly browned.
3. Add the remaining butter and mushrooms, return the onion to the pan and stir well. Season
4. Pour in the lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. Sprinkle in the sugar, bring to the boil.
5. Pour in the brandy and quickly ignite with a taper. Allow the flames to die out before stirring in the parsley.
Seve with buttered new potatoes and crisp green salad.
A full-bodied red wine will complement this meat dish perfectly. Try and Italian Barolo. Enjoy your meal!