Chicken is cheap but not always cheerfull – so spice it up with this southern-style crispy coating and serve with golden corn fritters. Guaranteed to fill up the greediest of guests!
6 Serves Fried chicken and corn fritters ingredients;
- 1.4kg oven-ready chicken cut into 6 portions
1/4 tsp paprika
225g seasoned flour
oil, for shallow frying
400g tinned sweetcorn
1 red pepper, chopped
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggss, lightly beaten
Salt and ground black pepper
1 tbls butter, melted
Salad, to serve.
Preparation time : 20 minutes + chilling
Cooking time : 30 – 35 minutes
Author : Prue Leith
Cookbook : Quick and easy (Confident Cooking)
Fried chicken and corn fritters recipe;
1. Dip the chicken portions in the milk. Mix the cayenne pepper and paprika with the flour. Coat the chicken. Chill for 30 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying-pan. Shallow fry each chicken portion for 10-12 minutes until crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm in the oven.
3. To make the fritters: mix together the sweetcorn, red pepper, flour, milk, baking powder, eggs and seasoning. Stir in the melted butter.
4. Heat more oil in a large friying-pan. Drop in tablespoonfuls of the batter, a few at a time. Fry for 5 minutes, turning occasionally until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Repeat this process until you have used all the batter. Serve with the chicken portions.
Tip : Add more colour to the fritters by adding chopped green peppers to the batter mixture. Enjoy your meal 🙂